Tuesday, August 24, 2010

i was at the top of mt. washington!

Yesterday, I was on top of the world, or 6,288 ft. above the clouds on the top of
the summit of Mt. Washington, N.H.  It was really hard to stand for this picture!
Home of the World's Worst Weather.  We started out in the high 60's and were in the 30's.  That is a quick adjustment to your body.  The winds were whipping and the ice and rain stung!  But, it was an awesome feeling to be up there! We can't wait to do it again!
They are not kidding!  One turn of the wheel in the wrong direction and you're toast!
 
                      Going, up...up...up...!!! Higher than the trees.
Clouds hugging the, "Oh, my dear God!" turn/cliff. Behind and below those puffy white things is about a 5,000 ft. drop into rocks and trees! Ouch!
Snow in August!  It's true! I saw it with my own eyes!  I was being pelted with ice.  The weather while we were at the top inside the observatory.  Brrrr!!!!
                                         Post Office at the summit.  
Some serious hikers struggling to keep their balance as they make it to the summit. 
One future hiker feeling the cold, whipping winds at the top of Mt. Washington.  It was hard for him to keep his balance.

7 comments:

  1. well done! I am a lazy git so getting me up that would be pretty impossible.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made it to the top of Mt. Washington. Weather! Now you have to climb Pikes Peak in Colorado! Same kind of road. You look away for a second and you go over the edge! Yikes! Snowing on top and in the 80's below! Probably similar to your day on Mt. Washington. Hopefully, Will will remember your day! Thanks for sharing! Now I feel like I have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... what an experience! But I must admit, my hands were getting sweaty just looking at these pictures! I'm petrified of heights :p ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just came across your blog and love it!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an achievement! Love your pictures. I've heard of this place before so it's fun to see someone's real life pictures. I have to honestly say I would not ever drive up that road. Heights, okay, roads with cliffs and no guard rails - no way! .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you my dear are one brave little BEE...I am soooo afraid of heights this would not be a hike for me...well done my dear...
    ........love rosie......

    ReplyDelete

I read every sweet comment and thank you for enjoying boston bee. health, love, creativity, and happiness to you ;)Alyssa